What is Sensitive or Hyper-Sensitive Skin?
Sensitive skin is extremely reactive and easily irritated. One in ten adults (and over 50% of Pai customers) suffer from skin sensitivity.
All Pai products are suitable for sensitive and even hyper-sensitive skin types.
Please visit our Sensitive Skin Care category for a list of products suitable for very sensitive skin or contact us for advice.
What causes sensitive skin?
Unfortunately there is no single cause which can make it hard to manage.
Common triggers are:
- Chemicals in toiletries: synthetic preservatives and fragrances.
- Diet: certain additives in processed foods can stimulate the body's inflammatory pathways.
- Environmental factors: extreme heat/cold, pollution and airborne allergens such as pollen
- Hormone fluctuations: many women develop skin hyper-sensitivity after coming off the contraceptive pill or during/after pregnancy
||Which chemicals should you avoid?
Only use natural products that contain no chemical ingredients or alcohol.
Always read the label and look out for:
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate: a detergent found in most shampoos and body/face washes. It is not only an irritant but also weakens the skin's natural barriers making it thinner and more penetrable.
- Propylene Glycol: this chemical is used as a hydraullic fluid and industrial antifreeze so it's not surprising that our skin can react badly to it.
- Paraben preservatives: methyl, ethyl, propyl, isopropyl.
- Formaldehyde-based preservatives:
imidazolidinyl urea, diazolidinyl urea, sodium hydroxymethylglycinate
- Artificial fragrances: often referenced on ingredient lists as "Parfum".
- Alcohol: a leading trigger of skin flare-ups and rosacea